Friday, May 8, 2009

Mary VS Martha

Luke 10:38-42
At the Home of Martha and Mary
 38As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. 40But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"

 41"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, 42but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."


Ever had times when you look all around you and the truth be told about you is that you simply wish to be a Mary and not a Martha? Sometimes there are so many things that we end up needing to do that we simply get frustrated at the very sight of dear Mary who sits peacefully (I would think) at the feet of Christ, listening to Him and simply spending moments with Him. And it's like as I read the verse and if Jesus were to tell me "Martha, Martha, you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her." I think I will start screaming, thinking that God is simply unfair.

But of course, God had to know better and He does know better. Make no mistake, He does. There's always a time for everything, and for God to grow us, sometimes being Mary would simply mean finding your way to the eye of the storm, where it all becomes still and silent and better to listen out for the very whispers of God.

I would think that if God wants to grow me in my perseverance, He doesn't seem to be growing me very much if all's well goes well with negligible obstacles and all I have to do is simply bring my comfy cushion with mobile air-con and sit nicely wearing my bedroom slippers at the feet of Jesus to listen to Him.

Well, I'm still learning to make my way to the eye of the storm. So let's all 加油S together 吧. ^^

On a side note, I just started a blog for my CG to blog out what they've learnt from their daily devotions. Hence feel free to take a look and perhaps you might be blessed as well too. :)

http://nyca1.wordpress.com

Need to do a major catch up on my 10-day daily devotion. Zzzz...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Gambete in everything. The recognition of fixing our eyes on the heaven above is a victory by itself already ^^

Love,
RB