Monday, February 9, 2009

The Greatest Sin

There's actually no such thing as the greatest sin. In God's eyes, every sin is the same. Sin is SIN. There's no hidden meaning in it, no ranking to it, no difference amongst it.

However, I call this "the greatest sin" because many a times, it is because of this sin in our lives that cause us to fall slowly but surely away from God: PRIDE.

Matthew 19:21-24
Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth. Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

Matthew 16:24
Then Jesus said to his disciples, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.

It takes a lot of humility to be able to give up the important things in our lives. Especially things that we've held on to for so long, things that have become (perhaps) what we have taken on as our identity, instead of that in Christ; being the smartest, the funniest (or lamest), the coolest, the cutest, the most good-looking, the wisest, the most spiritual even. And when called to give these things up to God, we ask God "Why?" because we've worked so hard to "earn" these things and the "unique" identity that comes along with it.

Fear shudders within me at the thought of such, especially with the recent turn of events... Oh how scheming and cunning the ways of the devil, having known and even tasted that this is the "Greatest of Sin" that he makes us fall this way.

Which is also why, my prayer to God is always this:

Proverbs 30:7-9
"Two things I ask of you, O Lord; do not refuse me before I die: Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the Lord?' Or I may become poor and steal and so dishonor the name of my God.

It may seem childish, immature or whatever you call for a 21-year old to say this, but, sometimes I just wish to remain a child -- His child, and nothing more.

Matthew 18:2-4
He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

P.S. Dear Papa, wah wah wah wah wah wah... (You know what I want to say)

No comments: