Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Day Starts At Night

Genesis 1:5
"God called the light "day", and the darkness he called "night". And there was evening, and there was morning - the first day."

Does it actually intrigue you or keep your mind probing about what this means? "And there was evening, and there was morning - the first day." The day actually starts not in the day when the sun rises, not when the cock starts to crow, not when light shines upon your face. It starts with every night before we go to bed. Surprised?

Looks like the night ain't so simple afterall. Eugene Peterson notes that in this way the biblical writers help us to remember: Everything doesn't depend on me. I go to sleep, God goes to work. It's his day. The world keeps spinning, tides ebb and flow, lives begin and end even though I am not there to superintend any of it. God is present when I sleep.

Psalm 127:2
"In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat - for he grants sleep to those he loves."

"When we work, we work. When we pray, God works. When God works, it REALLY works."

This has always been a phrase that I will say. But now, perhaps I will add on to that.

"When we sleep, God is at work. When God works, it REALLY works."

I guess sometimes we just need to realise and remember how small we actually are and that we can't do everything. No we can't. We do what we can and leave the rest to our Big and Mighty God who loves us. The reason why we can sleep peacefully at night? Nopez. Not the Singapore Police Force. But our God who loves us so. He never sleeps, He never slumbers. :)

No comments: