Monday, May 12, 2008

You Know Better Than I

The Unit Retreat Stayover was pretty interesting I think. Hahaha. Apparently we had a movie marathon. We voted the movies to watch from among those that I brought out. Majority voted "Hairspray" and intriguingly, as Tim had commented, "Everyone who voted to watch harispray fell asleep except Corrina while those that stayed awake to watch aren't those who voted it."

Went back home in the morning after that to shower, prepare some CG stuff and then went to sleep 2hrs before I wake up and head off for service.

Service was great as usual! Just that I did feel a bit heavier on my eyelids and my legs today. OH! And wonderful thing happened! Yi Han, Jaclyn and Jolene sat with the CG today! Yay!!! I know that they probably didn't communicate much with the CG and you really can't talk much during service hence I guess it wasn't much progress. But for the very least, today I could be seated near them and the CG together!!! Yay!!!

After service, I got everyone to read a passage from the book of Job.

Job2:1-10
On another day the angels came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them to present himself before him. And the LORD said to Satan, "Where have you come from?" Satan answered the LORD, "From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it."

Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil. And he still maintains his integrity, though you incited me against him to ruin him without any reason."

"Skin for skin!" Satan replied. "A man will give all he has for his own life. But stretch out your hand and strike his flesh and bones, and he will surely curse you to your face."

The LORD said to Satan, "Very well, then, he is in your hands; but you must spare his life."

So Satan went out from the presence of the LORD and afflicted Job with painful sores from the soles of his feet to the top of his head. Then Job took a piece of broken pottery and scraped himself with it as he sat among the ashes.

His wife said to him, "Are you still holding on to your integrity? Curse God and die!"

He replied, "You are talking like a foolish woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?" In all this, Job did not sin in what he said.



I seriously think that this passage can cause a lot of questioning about God's goodness. But when God opens our spiritual eyes to see the insights and truths found within this passage, we really learn and grow a lot from this.

The biggest take away point for me was this "Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?" It's like saying "God, bless me for all I care (and I do care), but just keep your discplinary lessons and growing to yourself. I just wanna be blessed." Sounds pretty much like the words of a spoilt child don't you think? And sadly, the spoilt child will never know about his parents because he chose the gifts over the giver.

At the end of everything, I ended off the sharings with a song "You Know Better Than I".

You Know Better Than I
(adapted from "Joseph King of Dreams")

I thought I did what's right
I thought I had the answer
I thought I chose the surest road
But that road brought be here

So I put up a fight
And told you how to help me
Now just when I have given up
The truth is coming clear

You know better than I
You know the way
I've let go the need to know why
For You know better than I

If this has been a test
I cannot see the reason
But maybe knowing I don't know
Is part of getting through

I tried to do what's best
But faith has made it easy
To see the best thing I can do
Is to put my trust in You

For, You know better than I
You know the way
I've let go the need to know why
For You know better than I

I saw one cloud and thought it was the sky
I saw a bird and thought I could follow
But it was you who thought that bird to fly
If I let You reach me
Will You teach me

For, You know better than I
You know the way
I've let go the need to why
I'll take what answers You supply
You know better than I

No comments: